Recipe type: Main Dishes
- 1 (12 oz.) box jumbo pasta shells
- ½ c. diced onion
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 c. water
- 1 tsp. oregano
- ¼ tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 c. cottage cheese
- 1 lb. shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾ c. Parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs
- ¾ tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- Cook shells half of recommended time, just until limp. Drain and cool in a single layer on a pan.
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients and simmer for 1 hour in a saucepan (you may want to double the sauce).
- Combine all of the ingredients for the cheese mixture (you may want to add a bit of milk if the mixture seems dry). Fill a quart-size freezer bag with cheese mixture and snip off corner. Squeeze out mixture into shells.
- Pour ½ a cup of sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Place shells in a single layer in the baking dish. Cover with the rest of the sauce. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Freezing directions: After filling the shells, place them in a single layer on a pan, cover and put in freezer for at least an hour. Place the desired amount of shells in a freezer bag. Pour sauce in a separate freezer bag and freeze.
I usually double the sauce. Put 8-10 shells in a bag (which is plenty for 2 people). I usually get 6 bags of shells, so then I divide the sauce into 6 bags. It seems like a lot of work, but it freezes great, and is sooooo yummy!!!