Recipe type: Soup
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ c. chopped green pepper
- 2 T. chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 3 c. water
- 2 T. + 2 tsp. beef bouillon granules
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- ½ lb. sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 T. butter
- 5 c. milk, divided
- 6 T. all-purpose flour
- 1 (16 ounces) pkg. process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- bacon bits
- In a soup kettle, combine the first nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and mushrooms in butter over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add to soup.
- Stir in 4 cups milk; heat through. In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Garnish with bacon.
When I made this, I cut the recipe in half and it made about 5 servings.