Chicken Corn Chowder
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 T. oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, chopped
- 1 c. chopped onion
- ¾ c. chopped ham
- ½ c. chopped celery (1-2 ribs)
- ½ tsp. dried crushed chilies
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 2½ c. frozen corn
- 2 c. chopped peeled potato (2-3 potatoes)
- 1 c. diced red pepper (1 pepper)
- ½ c. sliced green onion (1 bunch)
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can evaporated milk
- 3 T. flour
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add chicken, onion, ham, celery and chilies. Stir. cook, uncovered for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are softened.
- Add broth, corn, potatoes, pepper, onion, thyme, bay leaf and salt. Stir. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered for about 15 minutes until potato is tender.
- Whisk evaporated milk and flour in a small bowl until smooth. Stir into soup.
- Increase heat to medium. Heat and stir for about 5 minutes until boiling and thickened. Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaf.