Chocolate-Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie
Recipe type: Pies
- 5 ripe bananas
- 4 T. unsalted butter
- 2½ c. + 1½ T. half-and-half, divided
- ½ c. + 2 T. sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 T. cornstarch
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 Pillsbury Pie Crust
- 4 oz. milk chocolate, chopped
- ⅓ c. + 2 T. chopped, salted dry-roasted peanuts, divided
- 2 T. orange juice
- 1 c. heavy cream, divided
- 2 T. creamy peanut butter
- 2 T. powdered sugar
- Peel 2 bananas and slice into ½" thick pieces. Melt 1 T. butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sliced bananas and cook until bananas begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add 2½ c. half-and-half, bring to boil, and boil for 30 seconds. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 40 minutes.
- Whisk sugar, yolks, and salt together in large bowl until smooth. Whisk in cornstarch until incorporated. Strain half-and-half mixture through fine mesh strainer into yolk mixture-do not press on bananas-and whisk until incorporated; discard cooked bananas.
- Transfer half-and-half mixture to clean medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened to consistency of warm pudding (180°), 4 to 6 minutes. Whisk in remaining 3 T. butter and 1 tsp. vanilla, and transfer pastry cream to bowl. Press greased parchment paper directly against surface of pastry cream and set aside to cool slightly, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, roll pie dough into 12" round on lightly floured counter. Transfer to 9" pie plate, fold edge of dough under itself so edge of fold is flush with outer rim of plate, and flute edges. Refrigerate 40 minutes; then freeze 20 minutes. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 375°.
- Line chilled pie shell with 12" square of aluminum foil, folding foil over edges of dough. Fill with pie weights and bake for 20 minutes. Carefully remove foil and weights, rotate plate, and continue baking until crust is golden brown, 7 to 11 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Combine chocolate and remaining 1½ T. half-and-half in bowl and microwave until melted, about 40 seconds, stirring halfway. Spread melted chocolate in bottom of baked pie shell. Sprinkle ⅓ c. chopped salted peanuts over chocolate.
- Peel and slice remaining 3 bananas ¼" thick and toss with orange juice. Whisk pastry cream briefly, then spread ½ of pastry cream over bottom of pie shell. Arrange sliced bananas on pastry cream, then top with remaining pastry cream.
- Whisk ¼ c. heavy cream and peanut butter together in bowl until smooth. Using stand mixer fitted with whisk, whip remaining ¾ c. heavy cream, powdered sugar, and remaining ½ tsp. vanilla on medium-low speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Increase speed to high and whip until stiff peaks form, 1 to 3 minutes. Fold peanut butter mixture into whipped cream, and spread evenly over top of pie. Sprinkle pie with remaining 2 T. chopped peanuts. Refrigerate until set, 5 to 24 hours. Serve.