Fresh Tomato Spaghetti Sauce
Recipe type: Sauce
- 4 lbs fresh tomatoes, chopped & peeled
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs (basil, oregano, etc.)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large iron skillet or heavy saucepan. Add onion, herbs, garlic and salt. Saute until onion is tender, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add tomato, parsley and sugar; heat to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for about 2 hours, stirring often or until sauce has thickened.
- Remove parsley. Serve over cooked spaghetti or other Italian pasta and top with Parmesan cheese.