Recipe type: Vegetables
- 1 lb. carrots (about 6 medium) peeled and sliced ¼" thick on the bias
- ½ c. chicken broth
- 3 T. sugar, divided
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 T. unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Ground black pepper
- Bring carrots, broth, 1 T. of sugar and salt to a boil in a 12" non-stick skillet, covered, over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are almost tender when poked with the tip of a paring knife. About 5 minutes.
- Uncover, increase heat to high and simmer rapidly, stirring occasionally for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the remaining 2 T. sugar and the butter. Toss the carrots to coat and cook, stirring frequently, until the carrots are completely tender and the glaze is light gold, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice and toss to coat. Season with pepper to taste and serve.
If I don't have a fresh lemon on hand I like to season with lemon pepper before serving.