Holiday Candy Fudge Bars
Recipe type: Cookies & Squares
- 2 c. uncooked quick-cooking oats
- 1½ c. flour
- 1 c. chopped pecans
- 1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 c. butter or margarine melted
- 1½ c. red & green plain M&M’s, divided
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Combine first 6 ingredients, stirring well. Add butter, and stir until mixture is crumbly. Reserve 1 ½ cups of the crumb mixture; press remaining crumb mixture into a lightly greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for about 5-10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- Place 1 cup of the M&M’s in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave on high 1 to 1 ½ minutes, stirring after 30 seconds. Press M&M’s with the back of a spoon to mash them. (The candies will almost be melted with pieces of color coating still visible.) Stir in condensed milk. Spread mixture evenly over crust in pan, leaving a ½-inch border on all sides.
- Combine remaining 1 ½ cups crumb mixture and remaining ½ cup M&M’s; sprinkle evenly over chocolate mixture, and press lightly. Bake at 350° for 25-28 minutes or until golden. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
If you are making this at any other time of the year, don’t limit yourself to red & green M&M’s.