Huli Huli Chicken
- 1 c. brown sugar, packed
- ¾ c. ketchup
- ¾ c. soy sauce
- ⅓ c. apple juice or chicken broth
- 2½ tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1½ tsp. minced garlic
- 24 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 5 lbs.)
- In a small bowl, mix the first six ingredients. Reserve 1⅓ c. for basting; cover and refrigerate. Divide remaining marinade between two large zip-lock bags. Add 12 chicken thighs to each; seal bags and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink; baste occasionally with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes.
I recently tried this with bone-in chicken thighs. I marinated them as instructed. Then I put the chicken thighs and the marinade in a greased 9x13 pan, covered it with foil and baked at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until it a meat thermometer reads 175°. I then finished it off on the grill using the sauce that was set aside to glaze it.