Overnight Breakfast Casserole
- 6-8 slices white bread
- Softened butter or margarine
- 2 c. shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 12 oz. pork sausage, browned and drained
- 1 (4 oz.) can green chilies
- 6 eggs
- 2 c. milk
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. dry mustard
- Remove the crusts from the bread and lightly butter the bread slices on one side.
- Place bread, buttered-side down, in a 9x13 pan.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese evenly over the bread. Sprinkle the browned sausage on top of the cheese, and then top with the green chilies.
- Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl. Add milk and seasonings and whisk to combine well.
- Slow stir the egg mixture while you pour it evenly on top of the assembled casserole. Keep stirring or the spices will all gather in one spot and drop onto one spot.
- Cover well and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 350. Remove the cover and bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes. The center should be set and the outside edges should be golden brown. Allow the casserole to stand 10 minutes before serving. Don't worry if the casserole falls a little-that's completely normal.
Adapted from Our Best Bites