Sausage Fennel Stuffing
Recipe type: Main Dishes
- 1 (6 oz.) pkg. Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice mix
- 2¼ c. water
- ½ c. chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tsp. fennel seed
- 2 mild Italian sausages, casing removed and chopped (about 0.4 lbs)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 1 c. finely chopped fennel bulb (only the white part)
- Combine the rice mix (including seasoning packet), water, tomatoes and fennel seed in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes, without stirring until rice is tender. Transfer to large bowl. Cool slightly. Fluff with fork.
- Put sausage into medium frying pan. Scramble-fry on medium for about 5 minutes until no longer pink. Transfer sausage with slotted spoon to paper towel-lined plate to drain. Drain and discard drippings from pan. Heat olive oil in the same pan. Add onion and fennel. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fennel is tender-crisp. Add to rice mixture. Add sausage. Stir.
If the package of long grain and wild rice mix is a different size, adjust the amount of water according to the package directions