Recipe type: Main Dishes
- Kosher Salt
- 8 bacon slices, cut crosswise into thin strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Bring a big pot of salted water to a boil for the spaghetti.
- Begin to cook the bacon over medium heat. After about 3 minutes, add the onion and cook for another 4-5 minutes, until the onion is caramelized and the bacon is crisp. While that’s going, crack the eggs into a big serving bowl. Add the cream and cheese and whisk. Scrape the bacon and onion into the bowl along with the cooking fat.
- By now, your pasta water has come to a boil. Break the spaghetti in half and throw it in the boiling water. Give it a quick stir to separate the strands; cook for 10 to 11 minutes or until al dente.
- Scoop out about ¼ cup of the pasta cooking water and add that to the bowl with the bacon and eggs. Then drain the spaghetti, add it to the bowl, and give everything a toss. Invert a plate on top of the bowl to hold in the heat and let the pasta set for 5 minutes. Remove the plate, toss in some salt and lots of cracked black pepper and the parsley.