Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Recipe type: Cookies & Squares
- 2⅛-1/4 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-2 cups chocolate chips
- ½cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Adjust the oven rack to lower-middle position. Line a 9X13-inch baking pan with foil, letting the excess hang over the edges of the pan by about 1 inch so you can grab those edges and pull the bars from the pan after they have baked. Spray the foil-lined pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix the flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside. Whisk the melted butter and sugars in a large bowl until combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix well. Using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until just combined; do not overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips and pecans. Turn the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the spatula.
- Bake until the top of the bars is light golden brown, slightly firm to the touch, and edges start pulling away from sides of pan, 24-28 minutes. Cool on a wire rack to room temperature. Remove the bars from the pan by lifting the foil overhang and transfer them to a cutting board. Cut and enjoy!