Turtle Nut Cake
Recipe type: Cake
- 1 pkg. German chocolate cake mix
- 1 pkg. wrapped caramels (approx. 50)
- ½ c. evaporated milk
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1 c. chopped pecans
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour ½ of the batter into a greased 9x13 pan. Set remaining batter aside. Bake at 350 for 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt caramels, milk, and butter. Stir in pecans into caramel mixture.
- When the cake is done baking (for 18 minutes), pour caramel/nut mixture over cake. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, pour reserved batter over top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cake springs back when pressed with fingertips.
It's difficult to test the cake with a toothpick because of the melted chocolate chips and caramel layer.